Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Enough is Enough

There are a lot of things I like about marketing.  I like that there are many paths and multiple solutions.  I like that there is opportunity for creativity.  I like that there aren't rules, but best practices and metrics that can help us make sure we're on the right track.

One thing I'm not a huge fan of is invasive advertising.

Don't get me wrong.  As a marketer and business owner, I know properly placed advertising can help communicate and attract prospects.  As a consumer, I like advertising when it helps me make decisions and learn who provides products and services I need.  But in recent years, ads are everywhere, willing and able to annoy and bombard us at every corner.  And there are some places ads just don't belong.  My Kindle is such a place.

A few years ago, my husband bought me my first Kindle.  I had sworn off electronic readers in favor of real books, but quickly saw the appeal of e-readers.  Recently, we started looking at upgrades, finding that new Kindles are cheaper, but include ads.

At one store, a vendor offered me a deep discount if I would only take the Kindle with ads.  I tried to buy it.  I really did.  But in the end, I had to decline.  Ads are everywhere, and I needed to take a stand.  I couldn't let them invade my quiet reading sanctuary time too.  My old Kindle would have to do.

Monday, my husband surprised me with a new Kindle.  The one without the ads.  The one he had to order special, just for this strange quirky marketer he married.  But thanks to his thoughtfulness, my reading haven remains!

Even marketers need an occasional advertising break.

No comments:

Post a Comment