Saturday, May 4, 2013

Thank you, Chumbawamba

I've always wanted to make a good impression.  I worry about what other people think.  But one time, as a child, I went out on a limb and asked my very conservative aunt for a music CD that was unconventional, weird, and a little scary looking.  I wanted Chumbawamba's catchy new song, "Tubthumping".  And as uncomfortable as it was for me to ask for it, I was really glad I did when  I received my new CD that Christmas.

I've been working on a lot of projects lately, and with a lot of teams.  I have also had the opportunity to run face first into politics that were much more prevalent and convoluted than I ever could have imagined.

I know politics are commonplace.  But lately, I've gotten a close look at the deceit and dysfunction they can create.  It's unfortunate, and I am frustrated.  Often I feel defeated, as if there is no way out, and nothing left to do.  But sincere supporters who believe in me and what I am doing have come to surface.  To me, they have meant the world, especially as I try to navigate these tricky new waters.

Last night, I was working late, inspired by my mission, my friends, and their encouragement.  I starting getting excited about new ideas.  I had renewed energy.  And then, it came back from my childhood.  "Tubthumping" was playing in my head.

Right now, I find the idea of getting knocked down and getting up again all too familiar.  Lately, it seems half my time is spent on the floor, wondering if I ought to just stay there.  But no matter how discouraging our circumstances, we must always get up and keep trying.  We must keep working hard and moving forward.

Thank you, friends, for your inspiration and encouragement.  And thank you, Chumbawamba, for sticking with me, even after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment