Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Harder We Work, the Luckier We Get

My mom is a huge fan of Aggie athletics.  When I was growing up, one game was often on the radio while several others were being flipped to and from on TV.  One weekend, and I'm sure pretty this has only happened once or twice in history, A&M lost a game.  My mom was devastated.  She lamented the opposing team "always being so lucky!"  My dad didn't empathize for a second.  He said "the harder people work, the luckier they get," and left the room.

Despite agreeing with my mom and being sad about our Aggies, my dad's comment stuck with me.  I have found his words to be relevant and inspiring in sports, but also in business.  As such, I'm a firm believer in staying busy, learning more, and always pushing to accomplish or attend one more thing.

Keeping active increases your personal network.  It exposes you to new opportunities, friends, and business contacts.  It often also provides information you can use to help yourself or others.

In college, I joined my dad at a Kiwanis meeting.  I met the speaker, the marketing director for the local chapter of the American Red Cross, who later provided my first internship.

After college, I got involved with Texas A&M's Association of Former Students.  My new connections led me to a great job at HDR Engineering.

At a recent training session, I facilitated a discussion that encouraged attendees to talk, brainstorm, and make suggestions for each other.  Many people left with great contacts and new ideas that would have been missed out on had they stayed at home.

The stories go on and on, but the positive results are the same.

Make something similar be your experience.

Lady luck is waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment