Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dear Diary

A professional contact at Del Mar College’s Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) introduced me to an entrepreneur with tons of experience and technical knowledge.  This small business owner worked for a large corporation and is now starting his own business while working full-time and going to college.  He is pursuing a government contract to work at a local military base and was new to the government’s procurement process.

Early last week, this entrepreneur was wondering if this contract “wasn’t meant to be” because he didn’t know how to responded to a Request for Proposal (RFP).  However, in less than a week, we developed a technical approach and finalized a proposal that was shipped ahead of schedule.  The craziest part?  It was really fun!

Like everyone else, I watch the news and hear depressing and discouraging things about the economy.  However, seeing the enthusiasm and strong work ethic of this entrepreneur, and being able to help him, inspired me and gave me hope.  This individual represented the gumption and grit of the small business owner, who is very much alive, well, and ready to achieve.

The shoes of an entrepreneur are an uncertain, interesting and exciting place to be.  Sometimes I know things.  Other times, I learn something new.  There are ups and downs, highs and lows.  But spending time helping clients achieve their goals is icing on the cake.

In the words of Little Orphan Annie, “I think I’m gonna like it here!”

No comments:

Post a Comment